A Little Token of Love

Sometimes it is easy to get caught up in the every day tasks that bringing up a child entails. The cooking, the cleaning, washing uniforms, doing homework, school runs, breaking up arguments, tidying bedrooms, keeping the kids entertained.

These things take place almost every day, like clockwork. They are routine. So routine in fact, that they require little thought, you just do.

Sometimes though, you take a step back and have a think about what it actually means to raise children. It is down to you to make sure your children are safe, to make sure they grow up knowing right from wrong, to make sure they are prepared for the world, to make sure they are happy.

Having a good think about it can be a bit overwhelming.

Sometimes, it can be hard not to feel like you are failing at bit. I know I shout at my kids a little bit more than I should, I'm sure I make plenty of parenting mistakes. Sometimes I'm so unorganised that I forget to put homework/ PE kit in their bags, and sometimes I do get caught up so much in the daily tasks that I forget to have fun.

Sometimes though, something happens that just makes your heart melt. A little handmade gift brought home from school, or a small hand drawn card. Yesterday, Caitlin gave me a little picture that she had made. On it she had drawn herself and me, with a big heart inside of each of us, because 'she loves me so much'. It's things like this, in the middle of the every day tasks, that make it all seem worthwhile.


And it's these little tokens that remind us what is important. To the children, Mummy and Daddy are the absolute world.  In the new year I want to make sure I spend more time enjoying my family and making happy memories for the kids. I also need to remember that we are not perfect parents, and we will sometimes make mistakes, but so long as our children are happy, safe, and well loved, that we are on the right track.


mummy daddy me

Share this:

I love reading all of your comments and getting to interact with all my readers so pop a comment in the section below and lets chit chat.

1 comments:

  1. Oh what a beautiful post it has made me feel a little emotional and teary. You are so right, it is those little things. And I love the picture I bet you will treasure it forever! Hope you have a great Christmas together. xx

    ReplyDelete