The Big Book of Monster Fun - Book Review

My family are massive fans of books and reading, which is why we were thrilled to recently be selected to be Parragon Book Buddies. Each month we will be sent a new children's book to review. We were very excited when our first package arrived last week!

the big book of monster fun

This months book is 'My Big Book of Monster Fun'. Filled with spooky stories, horrifying activities and fiendish colouring in pages, it's the perfect book to keep your little monsters entertained. Just in time for the halloween break!

the big book of monster fun

The book is split in to two halves, monsters and dinosaurs. The two halves of the book each have their own story, activity and colouring pages. There are enough activities in the book to keep your children entertained for hours!

The first half of the book is the monster section, and it kicks of with a lovely little story 'Scaredy Boo' about a little monster who is afraid of everything.

the big book of monster fun

the big book of monster fun

My kids loved the Scaredy Boo story and have asked for it to be read almost every night since the book arrived. It is well written, with lovely colourful pictures and so much to look at on each page.

Following on from the story there is page after page of puzzles and activities to really engage children, including number sequencing, patterns, drawing, testing observational skills. It's all good fun, and has plenty of educational value too. My two particularly enjoyed getting a chance to draw their own crazy monster creations. 

the big book of monster fun

the big book of monster fun

The dinosaurs section of the book starts off with the story 'T-Rex Terror', The story is in comic book style, which really appealed to Neil because he likes reading comic books. The story centres on four young dinosaurs who become super heroes, and it is a lot of fun. 

the big book of monster fun

The characters of the story are then featured throughout the rest of the dinosaurs section which is a great touch, and the kids loved spotting their favourite character on some of the pages. The dinosaur section features even more fun and engaging activities, including deciphering codes, drawing wanted posters, finding patterns and spot the difference, followed by 22 pages of dinosaur colouring.

the big book of monster fun


All in all, I am super impressed with My Monster Book of Fun, and the kids absolutely loved it. The range of activities in the book is impressive, and a lot of them tie in with some of the things the kids are learning at school. Any book which can help children continue to learn at home, without actually feeling like they are learning, well that's a massive plus point in my eyes!

The value for money this book offers is also impressive. As I said at the beginning, we are big book lovers in this house, and we regularly buy the kids books at £6.99. This book is almost 200 pages of fun, including 2 full stories for only £7.99 RRP!

If you would like to purchase The Big Book of Monster Fun it is available from WH Smiths. (Currently at time of writing, this book is on offer at £5.59 so grab yourself a bargain while you can!)

I received this product from the publisher for free. However, they have not paid me for this review, and they do not exercise any editorial control over my review or anything else on this site.




Share this:

I love reading all of your comments and getting to interact with all my readers so pop a comment in the section below and lets chit chat.

18 comments:

  1. We also got this book and it was a real winner in our home. My daughter loves it and it's given her a lto to do in the rainy weather. Angela x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this is a great rainy day book, and you do get plenty of them in this country ;) x

      Delete
  2. We had this book too. H really enjoyed it especially the T Rex story at the back as he likes those characters from other books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I didn't realise the T-Rex characters were from another book, I'll have to look for that!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a lovely book, great that you can do an activity at the back I think both my children would enjoy this book x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a great little book, and the mixture of things to do can create hours of entertainment x

      Delete
  4. Oh this looks lovely, definitely a book my two boys would enjoy. Love that it includes activities to get children involved as well xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like great value for money, and perfect for halloween too. It's definitely something I would buy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is brilliant value, two stories at that price would be good value but when you throw in the activities and colouring pages... it's great!

      Delete
  6. Love interactive books that you can really be absorbed in to. This defo looks like my, ahem - I mean my son's, kinda book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I think I loved it as much as my kids did!

      Delete
  7. Ah this looks brilliant!!! My son is probably a little too young for the activities but I still think hed love it! Definitely a handy one to have in for rainy days! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My nephew would really be into this. He is at the age where he is getting into colouring and even though some of the activities might be a little advanced for his age he would still give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My little sister would love this she has a thing for monsters and goes 'rawr' whenever she sees one. She likes to think she is from Monsters INC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book looks lovely all filled with stories, puzzles and more. Perfect for any little monster! Would make a lovely Halloween gift as an alternative to chocolate for your child.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love being Parragon book buddies too, such gorgeous books. This one look's great and brilliant for this time of year xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to gift this book to my child on his upcoming birthday. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete