Helicopter Ride


When I woke up on Saturday morning, I never dreamed I would be taking a ride on a helicopter later that day. Infact, I have never ever dreamed of doing such a thing, ever. I am terrified of flying, and only fly when absolutely necessary.

I was at the Northern Ireland Countryside festival for work over the weekend. We were situated pretty close to the helicopter landing and take off area.My colleagues were ooh-ing and aah-ing over them but I had no interest. At the end of the day, our boss asked if we would like a go for a ride in one, and obviously I refused.

"You won't get me anywhere near that thing, thanks", was my reply.

Clearly I changed my mind though. A moment of madness came over me and I agreed to put my life in danger for 10 minutes. 

The walk over to the helicopter from the entrance part was probably one of the most terrifying things of my life. To say I was a bit nervous would be an understatement, I was shitting myself! I'm a terrible worrier, and thoughts of helicopter accidents I had read about started flashing through my head.

It was amazing! It is such a strange sensation, and it doesn't feel flying in an aeroplane at all. It took me a minute to get in to it because I was so scared, but I really enjoyed it.

I will say, I would probably never do it again, purely because I can't help but think about things that can go wrong with a helicopter, but I'm so glad I got to experience it.


Share this:

I love reading all of your comments and getting to interact with all my readers so pop a comment in the section below and lets chit chat.

18 comments:

  1. You're so braver then me but what a great experience x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You clearly made the right decision. Glad you enjoyed the experience. Did it once myself along time ago and I felt like i was going to fall out the helicopter. The thing I remember most was the noise. I've not been able to watch a Hollywood action movie in quite the same way since!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been in a helicopter several times in my younger days, even winched out of one on a training exercise I loved it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done for conquering your fears. I've been in a helicopter once and absolutely loved it. Would love to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done for doing it and a brilliant video to look back on! I used to be terrified of flying and still get a little nervous xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I bet that was amazing. I would love to have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I have never been in a helicopter. One day I would love to go over the grand canyon in one

    ReplyDelete
  8. A helicopter ride is on my "Bucket List"; I would absolutely love to do it! Well done for conquering your fears. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So brave of you! I have fear of flying too and I could never ever muster enough courage to try this! #mmwbh

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the helicopter trip I took, I love any form of flying!xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got to go in an RAF Chinook and I enjoyed the take off and landing more than a plane, but I could have done without the door opposite me being open! Good for you x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hats off to you, I would be terrified but it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing experience! Well done for having the courage- definitely something to sing from the rooftops!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It must feel like a very luxurious dream...well, in my mind it certainly is! :) This is something on my bucketlist...to hire out a chopper and fly over the most beautiful landscapes! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very brave! I've been in plenty of aeroplanes but never a helicopter x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to ride in a helicopter, but can imagine that I would spend the entire time wetting myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have only been in one once and it was amazing, but I was flying round a glacier so the fear was replaced by awe. Well done for giving it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not sure that I would go in helicopter!! Well done for trying it out!

    ReplyDelete