Why I need to learn to drive...

When I was a teenager, I had no interest in learning to drive. My best friend passed her test at 17 and got herself a wee green Micra. The colour was awful, and the car wasn't the best, but we had some great adventures in that thing. I didn't see the point in getting my own car, when I was having so much fun in the passenger seat of hers.

Once I met my husband and fell pregnant I still didn't have any interest in driving. We lived on the outskirts of the city. Most things were within walking distance, and I have always enjoyed walking. I didn't see a point in paying so much to learn to drive, then pay for the upkeep of a car, when walking is free. Anything not within walking distance was only a short journey on the bus or metro, everything was so handy.

Now, things couldn't be more different. We live in a village with a shop, a pub and a few hairdressers and salons. While the village is beautiful, and there are plenty of places to take a picnic or go for a scenic walk, there isn't much else going on.

Moving from the big city to such a small village was tough. Suddenly, I felt very isolated without transport. There are regular busses to Belfast, but the journey takes over an hour, and the bus fare for the four of us is around £30 return. There are so many wonderful attractions across Northern Ireland, but most of them are not accessible without a car, unless you are willing to endure long bus journeys and multiple changes. Not fun with two kids.

Since moving here we have rarely left the village, except when Granda drives us places. I rarely visited toddler groups because getting two small children on to a bus ( and a lot of the buses over here are like coaches, and don't have easy access for prams) was my idea of a nightmare. The kids didn't go to nursery because there was none in in the village and limited transport to the closest one, and Caitlin is missing out on dance classes because we have just no way of getting to them.

On top of all of that, Neil now has to go to regular therapies and things to do with his ASD, and I have to ask granda to take us to them all, which I feel awful about. I have also had to turn down so many training opportunities and workshops because I cannot get to them by bus.

I feel like we are stuck in this little village sometimes, and it is driving me nuts! (Pardon the pun....)

With all of that in mind, I think it is about time I learned to drive.



I have been thinking about it for a while but now feels like the right time to start. While days out and things are luxuries, getting Neil to occupational therapy and social groups is a necessity, and I can't rely on my father in law forever
.
Having a car will make things so much easier for us.

I'm going to apply for my license this month, and aim to be driving by the summer. I know I am not giving myself much time, but I'm working to a bit of a deadline. I currently work in my village, so it's only a five minute walk in to the office, but soon we will be moving premesis, and I will no longer be able to walk. I want to be driving in time for the big move, so I don't have to put my trust in unreliable bus services to get to work on time.

I think driving will give my blog a bit of a boost too. I love writing about our adventures and days out, but as we are so limited on places to go right now, I don't have much to write about! I can't wait to be able to drive to exciting places around the county, and be able to showcase the best of Northern Ireland on my blog, as it really is a fabulous place!

I'm looking forward to getting started, and can't wait to share my progress with you all.

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com



Post Comment Love

Share this:

I love reading all of your comments and getting to interact with all my readers so pop a comment in the section below and lets chit chat.

14 comments:

  1. You're right, having a car affords you so much more freedom. I remember having a C-Section and not being able to drive for 6 week. I felt so isolated! Sometimes you don't even want to get in the car, but it's having the option to go if you need to that's nice. Good luck! I'm sure you'll smash it - the lessons that is, not the car :) #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Driving is the best thing. I love it and couldnt live without a car lol although a little walk around is lovely when the weather is good x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you the best of luck! I am thinking about learning to drive.....
    I only want a car for the days out.....Blogging has opened my eyes to how much my family and I are missing out....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont know how to drive either as from where I am cars are super expensive and public transport is the way to go. I live near everything here but sometimes having a car & learning how to drive is the only way to go. I will be looking forward to reading about your driving posts =) #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't learn to drive until my mid-twenties as I lived in a city with good transport links. Living in a village is so much easier when you have a car. Good luck with learning to drive and hope you manage to get there by the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a shame I don't live nearer you - I still hold my Driving Instructor qualification! If you need any tips or advice please let me know :) Good luck! Thank you for linking to #PoCoLo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you the best of luck, I never learned to drive, I had lessons at 20 but lacked confidence so gave up, it didn't really bother me and my husband drives so we get about at weekends and I walk everywhere in between. I would like to drive especially as the children would like to get out a bit more but it isn't something we can afford at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah good luck Lauren! I learnt to drive at 17 cause I lived in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't be without our car now. Hope you learn quickly and it gives you lots of freedom. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't drive (I'm 32) and I've never really wanted to, but when I had a newborn I sometimes felt as if I'd made the wrong choice because I sometimes felt like I needed a total change of scene and being able to drive could have afforded me that? And if we had more than one child and one needed to be some place and the other needed to be elsewhere, it might be a pickle trying to accomodate everyone. But, at the end of the day, we can't afford lessons for me or another car anyway.

    Massive good luck to you!!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I learnt to drive at 17 in a Nissan Micra (put me off them forever). We live in a town with good public transport and I do try to walk and cycle lots still but I'd be lost without my car. Good luck with the lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pleased that you've decided to do this .. I totally identify with not seeing the need to drive for similar reasons. I decided to learn before I got pregnant but I barely practised after I passed. It's taken the desire to make it easier to get my son to places, to motivate me to start practising again. I now drive but I still have way to go.

    All the very best as you start; so many wonderful things awaits you! #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like you I have also never had any interest in driving until I had my second and things got harder. I aways thought it was fine my hubby drive or my brother if its and emergency. I have now finally booked my theory test hope I pass.

    ReplyDelete